This article will help you understand the different parts of the ilos Recorder, before, during, and after recording.
Note: If you're on a Mac running El Capitan, some aspects of your recorder may differ. Check out our Overview of the Mac Recorder for more details.
Control Bar - before recording:
- Status bar: Shows the state of the recording.
- Record button: Starts or resumes the recording.
- Microphone icon: Used to select your audio input and shows current audio input levels.
- Time clock: Shows the current time of the recording.
- Full screen icon: Allows you to record your entire screen.
- Gear icon: Includes various settings for the Recorder.
- Close icon: Closes or Minimizes the Recorder.
Control Bar - basic settings:
- Webcam button: Toggles webcam on/off.
- Countdown toggle: When on, the recorder will countdown before starting the recording.
- Rapid recording toggle: Allows you to make multiple recordings in a row.
- Extra settings: see next section for more.
- Back button: brings you back to the recording interface.
Control Bar - extra settings (the triple dot icon):
- Save videos: saves a copy of your recording to your computer (this is recommended! See Re-uploading article).
- Restore recorder size: recorder will remember previous recording dimensions for next time.
- Open video save folder: directs you to where we save your recordings locally.
- About: shows the version of recorder you have.
- Log Out: logs you out of ilos.
Recorder bounds and dimensions:
- Current recording dimensions: Displays pixel width x height for your recording.
- Drop-down for preset dimensions: Common dimensions for 16:9 aspect ratio. For best playback view, select one of these options.
- Custom area tool: Select the Crop icon to drag around what you want to record (will not lock the 16:9 aspect ratio).
- Outer bounds of your recording: Everything inside these lines will be recorded.
- Lock aspect ratio: Maintains a 16:9 aspect ratio while manually readjusting the recorder bounds.
Control Bar - during recording:
- Pause button: Pauses the recording.
- Microphone icon: Shows audio level and brings up audio input options.
- Time clock: Shows the current time.
- Stop button: Stops the recording and uploads it.
- Trash icon: Cancels the current recording and starts over.
Control Bar - while paused:
From pause, you can finish or cancel your video. To resume your recording, select Resume.
Control Bar - after finishing your video:
- Input box: Title your recording.
- Check mark icon: Set your video title and go to video page.
- Trash icon: Delete recording and start over.
Control Bar - after finishing your video with rapid record on:
Rapid record lets you quickly record another video (1) or go straight to your video on ilos (2)